, , ,

This post follows on from my earlier entry a week ago: A God of Miracles (Part 1)

As I write this blog entry, and look to conclude the tale of my wife’s encounter with tuberculous meningitis, I am mindful that a year ago I was returning to my home without my wife for the first time as the crisis (of her being infected with the disease) began to unfold.  A year ago today, my wife had been admitted to hospital.

Part 1 concluded with my wife being in intensive care, and effectively unconscious.  I don’t know what the medical terminology would be, but she was unresponsive.  She had a tube running down to her stomach to provide her with medication and nutrition, and her only motion would be sporadic desperation when she would momentarily drift back to semiconsciousness  and frantically try to pull the tubes out from her nasal passages.

She remained in intensive care from early Friday morning through to Saturday morning (about 7:00am).  That was a tough night.  I sat by her side trying to stay awake (and for the most part I was successful) so that I could monitor her and make sure she didn’t manage to pull the tubes out!  I manged to stop her on a couple of occasions… but she beat me on one!

How frustrating it was that I had dosed off, and not been alert to stop her.  It then meant that the nurses had to reinsert the tubes… and I had to physically fight and hold her down as her semiconscious mind instinctively tried to fight against us to stop the pain and discomfort of the tubes going down to her stomach.  Not a pleasant experience, and unfortunately not the last time I had to physically restrain my wife during her time in hospital!!

Early Saturday morning, a bed became available in the “Specialist Disease Unit” at the Royal Liverpool Hospital.  The intention had been that she would be transferred there as soon as possible, so the nurses immediately prepped her for a flight via the ‘air ambulance’ to Liverpool.

We arrived at the Royal Liverpool Hospital at about 9:30am and she was placed in a private room and began treatment under the direction of a consultant who specialized in diseases including meningitis.  My wife began to make improvements in terms of her consciousness and much to my delight began to talk again in the evening.

Although she had become concious again, she had little recollection of her time in hospital in the Isle of Man, and her mind and body had been under intense and heavy strain!  The tuberculous meningitis had infected her brain, causing it to swell.  Her body consequently had zero strength and little control.

During the many days of her treatment and recovery, she underwent a series of tests and assessments.  As her body began to gain more strength, she had to rehabilitate herself and ‘learn’ to walk again.  The nurses and consultants were always impressed at how quickly she was recovering and performing in all her assessments e.g. sight, awareness, strength.

In all, she was in Liverpool for about a month!  During this time, I was able to be with her for the most part (my employers were especially supportive and helpful), and my parents looked after our two boys at their home.  When my wife was well enough, I was also able to take our boys across for 2 days so they could spend some time with her.

After she had recovered to a satisfactory level (determined by the consultants) and was able to walk again (for the most part!), she was transferred back to the Isle of Man to Nobles Hospital again! – where she remained for a further week of observations etc.

My wife was directed to take an intensive course of steroids along with other medications, however the ‘danger’ had now passed.  My wife had survived tuberculous meningitis!

Tuberculous meningitis is a very severe disease.  It is life threatening.  If you read about the disease, you will find that the mortality rate is high.  Further, for those persons lucky to survive, they face a high chance of suffering some form of lasting ‘effect’ on their body.  My wife both survived against the odds, and to this day has suffered no damaging effect on her body and mind whatsoever.  She is 100% well. Completely recovered – completely fit again.

As we look back on those times – a year ago – we are mindful of God’s love and his miracles.  We who suffered the experience know how serious the whole encounter was, and throughout it all, we truly recognise the hand of God in my wife’s survival.   When she returned to Noble’s Hospital, she met with the consultant who had been with her during that night when she had badly deteriorated.  He told her that he was shocked to see her.  Such was her condition that he didn’t think she would make it… and he was surprised to see her return from the Royal Liverpool Hospital!

My wife is a living miracle.  One of many.

I worship a God of miracles.  He is my Father in Heaven, and he loves me.  He loves my wife, and he loves all his children across the world.  I am grateful that in his mercy, he extended his healing powers and blessing to my wife.  He guided those who treated her.  He watched over her – and myself – through that dramatic experience, and he brought her home to me and my family again.

That experience will never be forgotten by us.  We know what took place, and we know that God was with us.  The experience was bad.  It was awful.  It was a nightmare. But now looking back, we are grateful for it – because we know that God had a purpose in it, and we believe that having suffered it; it has made us stronger.

I love my wife.  I need her. I was desperate for her to survive – yet – I was ready for her to die. That sounds crazy, but I knew that if God so allowed it, then it was because it needed to happen, and in time it would be for our good.  As it turns out, God didn’t allow it, and my wife survived.  The test therefore was not ‘how would I cope with her death?’, but ‘how would I cope during that experience?’.. and I am glad to say that I never doubted God, nor did I become frustrated with him.  I tried my hardest to align my will with his.. and I believe that I have learned from the experience.  My wife has also personally benefited.

I know that God is real.  I also know that he can heal!  He is a God of miracles!  (and that rhymes…well done me!)

As Jesus said to Thomas, “Stop doubting and believe”.   Allow God to work miracles in your life.  The scripture I quoted at the beginning said:

“I am a God of miracles.. I work not among the children of men save it be according to their faith

I urge you therefore to believe.  Have faith in his healing power and know that his miracles can flood into your life.  That’s all that is expected of you.  Leave the rest to God.

If it be his will…. then miracles will happen.  If it is not his will, then know also that he has good reason, and ultimately (whether in this life or the next), it will work out for your good.

“Do we not read that God is the same yesterday, today, and forever, and in him there is no variableness neither shadow of changing?… behold, I say unto you he changeth not; if so he would cease to be God; and he ceaseth not to be God, and is a God of miracles”. (Mormon 9:9-20)